Morris dancers throughout North
England will gather together with their sticks, ribbons, bells,
hankies, and baldrics, for music and dance in our annual May Day
celebrations (this year Monday, May 1st, 2017). We dance to
wake up the Sun and keep it coming back up for a whole year!
Besides being a great deal of fun, does this show dedication or
what?! You may have noticed that it works, too.|
Be a part of it. Show up while it’s dark and watch the Sun make its
grand entrance. See the spectacle! Watch the magic!
Cheer the dancers! Join in the celebration! Wonder
why you’re up at this hour! Wear whatever you want, but bring
layers - it may be cold this early in the morning.
FIND A MAYDAY CELEBRATION NEAR YOU
Sunrise and event starting times can
vary significantly depending on location or weather.
You may need
to reach a specific team's contact (squire) directly to find out
more about the local schedule.
Meanwhile, taste the imagery of
Ceremony of May
(audio requires Flash plug-in)
PACIFIC TIME ZONE
Up here, no one wants to dance up the sun. At 6:00 am it's way too cold, so we sleep in and THEN
dance! The sun does not officially rise until after the team squire comes out of hibernation,
and given her name, we'll STILL dancing up the Dawn.
- This year, we' dancing up the sun on the European timetable, so it's actually Wednesday, April 30th from
6:30 pm - 7:30 pm, while our friends from Helsinki Morris (Finland), Eken Morris (Stockholm),
and Jack the Rapper (Olso) bring up their sun.'
- For more information email squire
- 5:30 am Vancouver Morris Men and Tiddley Cove Morris dance up the dawn at
Sparrow Fart in
Trimble Park (Trimble St and W 8th Ave) in West
Point Grey, Vancouver, BC V6R 4G9
- 7:00 am - Off to breakfast and song at the
Zen Cafe onYew
Street. (This year it's Sunday, so no off to work for them that must
- For more information email or
Gabriola Island, BC with
|Drumbegger Border Morris will be dancing the May this year for 1st time. Come out and support them! Be a part of history!
- 5:30 am - meet in the parking lot of Drumbeg Provincial Park (south end of Gabriola Island), process to hill top, dance up the sun and sing in the May.
- Afterwards, Group Breakfast then Gorilla dance outs around the island.
- For more information, check the team
Facebook page, or email or call 250-247-7935
Island Thyme Morris, and
Island Thyme Morris Quicksbottom Morris
- Continuing their 20+-year tradition, the Victoria sides will gather around 5:30 am at
map), located on the
Victoria waterfront along Dallas
Road just east of Beacon Hill Park. See a variety of dance styles with Hollytree performing Cotswold, Island Thyme performing Northwest, and
Quicksbottom performing Border. The Maypole goes up around 5:30 am and dancing will begin soon after.
There's also community dancing (audience participation) and a Spiral Dance after sun-up. Feel free to gather some of the May Pole garlands
and take them home. It's usually a windy affair, but on a
clear morning, the view of the sun coming over Mount Baker is
definitely worth it.
- Afterwards, there's a potluck champagne breakfast for dancers and friends at someone's home. Let us know you're coming and we'll invite you too!
- Contacts for more information (including other possible events during the day)
- Island Thyme's or call 250-886-2088
- Hollytree's or call 250-656-9609
- Quicksbottom's or call 250-656-2920
- 5 am - dance at The Causeway
- 5:30am and 6:30 am - greet the departing ferry commuters at the Cove.
- 10 am - a Maypole dance - yes, a Maypole dance! - in front of the Library, morris dancing, and a possible appearance by the Black Lambs!
- For more information, email our squire
||Watch Bowen TV for footage of our 2008 May Day
Seattle, WA with North by North West Morris,
Sound and Fury Morris,
The Mossyback Morris Men, and
Misty City Morris
- Dancers will gather about 30 minutes before sunrise (5:52 am) at
Gas Works park.
- The entrance is located on the north side of lake Union, at
3300 Burke Ave N, Seattle WA.
- Dancing will be on the southern most point of the park near the water. Don't be surprised if there's singing
of May songs as well.
- Dancing continues until about 7:00 am.
- There may be thermi (plural of thermos) of mulled cider spiked with Fireball, to fight the cold and rain, if any.
- After breakfast, some or all will continue to tour:
- For more information:
- North by North West - email the or call Libby 206-323-7519
or Judy 206-634-2535
- Sound and Fury Morris - contact us
Portland, OR with Bridgetown Morris Men,
Renegade Rose Morris,
Wild Rose Garland
Eugene, OR with
Two Rivers Morris
- Two Rivers Morris dances up the sun and continues throughout May Day! Join them and celebrate at the following venues (each performance will last about 1/2 an hour):
- For more information, check the team
Facebook page, or contact .
Sebastopol, CA with
- 5:30 am - Come help Apple Tree Morris celebrate the beauty of Spring in Sonoma County as we dance up the sun on May Day
in the parking lot behind the
Sebastopol Community Center Youth Annex, 425
Morris Street, in Sebastopol. The dancing goes through
sunrise and a little bit more (around 6:20 am), and then you are
welcome to join us for a potluck breakfast at 7:00 am at Wischemmann
Hall (bring something to share).
- There will be morris dancing to watch and country dances everyone can do, as well as wonderful music and
singing. We'd love it if you'd join us for this celebration! Dress warmly, since it tends to be chilly before dawn, and you may want a lawn chair or blanket to sit on.
- From Santa Rosa and points east: Get onto Highway 12 around Sebastopol. Turn right/north at the light onto Morris Street, and park when the
street turns left.
- From Sebastopol: Get onto Highway 12 heading towards Santa Rosa, and at the first light outside of town (at
the sign for The Barlow), turn left/north onto
Morris Street and park when the street turns left.
- Later that day....
- For more information, email or call 707-823-6925
San Francisco, CA with
- Meet at
Christmas Tree Point on Twin Peaks Blvd around 5:45 am, in the parking lot overlooking downtown, the East Bay and (in theory) the rising sun.
Dancing starts around 6:00 am.
- There's likely more dancing
during the day - details on their
- For EXACT directions and more information, email
or call Heather at (510) 653-7507
Berkeley, CA with
- 5:00 am - Gather at
Inspiration Point, high up on Wildcat Canyon Road in
Park. Dancing starts around 5:30 am., sunrise expected at 6:13 am.
- If you can't make it for sunrise, catch up with Berkeley the
rest of the day:
- For more information contact the
Palo Alto, CA with Deer Creek Morris Men
- 5:30 am to 7:00 am - Meet at the
Palo Alto Baylands
(take Embarcadero East from the US-101 to the end of the road, turn left, go past the airport, bear right, past the
Duck Pond and the Ranger Station and park in the first lot on the left (before crossing the river).
- Watch in entranced silence to the strains of the haunting Abbots
Bromley Horn Dance
- Join in as everyone learns English Country or Morris dances for all. Yes! We actually teach these!
- Deer Creek may attend May Day at the Oakland Zoo. Ask a
team member for details.
- For more information email squire
- 6:00 am - Meet at the Lighthouse,
701 on West Cliff Drive (take Hwy 1, turn on Bay St. towards the ocean, go all the way to the end, then right onto West Cliff
Drive - leave extra time to find parking.
- 7:00 am - breakfast at the Zackary's Restaurant, 819 Pacific Ave
- For more information check our website or contact squire
Santa Barbara, CA with
Pacific Sword Company
- 6:00 am - pursuing our annual tradition of sleeping in.
- 10:30 am - Valle Verde Retirement Community,
900 Calle de los
12:00 pm - Santa Barbara Botanic
1212 Mission Canyon Rd.
1:30 pm - Pub lunch, location to be announced. If you find us,
stand us a round!
- 3:00 pm - Revels hosts its annual May Day celebration at
Center Court of the
Paseo Nuevo Shopping Center on State Street in downtown Santa
Barbara. There's lots of spectacle and audience participation:
- Sing special Spring songs with Revels Songleader, Adam Phillips.
- Learn seasonal dances.
- Make flower garlads and nosegays.
- Enjoy performance by Pacific Sword Company and the Revels
- Come join in the May Pole celebration and learn how to weave the
ribbons 'round the pole.
- For more information, email .
Los Angeles, CA with Rising Phoenix Morris
San Diego, CA with
- Meet us before dawn at the top of Mount Soledad Park in La Jolla. Arrive early to hike up the hill.
- 5:45 am - Dance up the sun on Mount Soledad Cross
Soledad Park Road
- 6:30 am - Breakfast at Harry's Coffee Shop, 7545 Griard Ave, in La Jolla
- Locations/Directions (directions are progressive):
- Mira Mesa and I15: Take I15 South to SR163. Keep Right on to SR163. Take the SR52 exit to go West. Go
straight over I5 onto La Jolla Parkway. Turn Left at the Torrey Pines Road Intersection. Go up Hidden Valley Road
until it T's into Via Capri. Turn Right onto Via Capri. Wind up the mountain until that T's into Soledad Road and La
Jolla Scenic Drive. Turn left onto Soledad Road and drive through the gate, if it is open, or park if it is not.
- Soledad Mountain (From I5): Take Garnet West to Soledad Mountain Road.
Turn Right/North on Soledad Mountain Road and go till it ends in a T. Turn Right onto La Jolla Scenic Drive.
Drive into the Soledad Natural Park and look for morris dancers.
- To Harry's - (from Soledad Mountain): From the park head back down Via Capri
La Jolla Parkway and Torrey Pines Road. Go West on Torrey Pines Road, Left on Girard at the Von's. Harry's should be
right there on your left (across from the Von's Parking lot).
- For more information, email squire
MOUNTAIN TIME ZONE
Edmonton, AB with
Wilbert McIntyre Park at the covered gazebo in Strathcona beside
the Farmers Market
- Dancing starts at sunrise, around 5:58 am. Bring your own
thermos - it can be quite chilly. There will be a traditional
sword fruit to share. There is an offering of dried flowers
and sometimes a small fire or candle lighting to recite a blessing
- For more information, email the team or call +1-780-475-1826
Denver, CO with
Breathless in Berthoud Border Morris and
Maroon Bells Morris
Come see these free performances from almost the only morris dancers in the
Rocky Mountain Time Zone! You can thank us now - we dance so
you don't have to!
- 5:45 am to 6:30 am -
Brookside Gardens Spa
619 E State Hwy 26, Berthoud
- 9:30 am to 10:00 am -
Berthoud Methodist Church,
820 9th St, Berthoud
- 11:00 am to 11:30 am -
4795 26th St, Boulder
- 12:00 pm to 2:00 pm -
Peak Pub & Taphouse,
600 Longs Peak Ave, Longmount
- 2:30 pm to 3:00 pm - Special performance at
Loveland Village Good Samaritan Society,
2010 S Garfield Ave, Loveland
- For more information, email squire or call 720-352-8135
||See their 2016 May Day
- Due to a tear in the space-time continuum because Arizona doesn't
do daylight savings time, we actually dance up the sun on Friday
night, May 2. Go figure!
- 7:00 pm - We're (drinking and then) dancing at Phoenix's First
Friday, staring at the
The Lost Leaf (914 N 5th St), and then proceeding to dance in
the surrounding blocks where the other First Friday events are.
- For more information (including directions), email
or call 480-286-2122.
CENTRAL TIME ZONE
Minneapolis, MN with Bells of the North,
Minnesota Traditional Morris, Northern Lights,
Ramsey's Braggarts, and Uptown-On-Calhoun
Bells of the North
Minnesota Traditional Morris
The Twin Cities has a joint Sun Up ceremony, located on the Mississippi
Park in Minneapolis at the top of the bluff overlooking the Mississippi River in Minneapolis, where 36th Street 'T's with West River Parkway. Just follow the sound of the bells.
- Most people show up between 5:30 am and 5:50 am. The Abram Circle
dance steps off promptly at 6:02 am, just at sun up, and is open to anyone who knows the dance
- no need to be active on one of the morris sides. Typically we have 100+ participants in the
Dance. After the Abram Circle the teams continue to do mass dances
interspersed with one or two show dances from each team, typically in the order of team seniority.
- After Sun up, those who don't need to rush off to work join for a mass breakfast at a local restaurant. Then the teams typically split up and do guerilla dancing at
various places around the Twin Cities (sometimes with two more teams,
sometimes solo). As this varies from year to year there is no 'map' to the guerilla morris dancing.
- Around 6:00 pm the teams will dance and process to gather together
Guthrie Theatre area, ending up at
Gold Medal Park between 6:30 pm and 6:45 pm. From there the teams
will join for a little more outdoor dancing before heading to the
- For additional information, see the teams' websites or email Upton's squire
Madison, WI with
Oak Apple Morris
- 5:45am to 8:00am - dance up the sun at
off of University Bay Drive, followed by Maypole dancing and
singing around a bonfire. We pass the winter witch for people
to put their worries on, and then pass spring maiden for people to
put their hopes on.
- Around 8:00am - we head off to breakfast
and anyone may join us.
- Additional locations TBD. Please check our
- For more information, email squire
St. Louis, MO with
- 6:00am - meet at
Bellerive Park, overlooking the Mississippi River in south St.
Louis. All are welcome, and over the years quite a crowd has accumulated! Dancing continues for at least an hour and usually longer.
Sometimes there is a Maypole, but there is always singing (song
sheets provided). Breakfast follows at a mysterious location
to be revealed.
- For more information, email front person or call 314-560-2778
Chicago, IL with
Pullman Morris and Sword
- 7:30 am - dance in
located approximately at
112th and Laurence Avenue in the Pullman neighborhood of Chicago.
- Participants are invivted to an early breakfast provided by the
- Ask about the all-inclusive Grecian Urn which involves
any and all participants and spectators.
- For more information, email
or call 773-297-6714
EASTERN TIME ZONE
Burlington, VT with
On the Border
Rockport, ME with Highland Mary
Thetford, VT with
Four Corners Morris,
Green Mountain Morris,
Maple Leaf Morris,
- 5:30am to 7:00am - Dance up the sun at the Thetford
Thetford Hill, VT
(exit 14 from I-91).
Sometimes there's a Maypole as well.
- Breakfast usually follows at a Four Corners Morris member's
house in South Strafford. Details at the event itself.
- This is Motley Morris at its best and anyone can participate.
Sometimes there are different sets of a dance, each one in a
- For more information, email or call 802-672-1244.
||Watch Maple Leaf Morris as the sun peeks over the horizon on
May Day 2010
Putney, VT with Putney Morris Men, and
Putney Mountain Morris Women
- Continue the 20+ year tradition of morris dancing for Mayday sunrise on the top of Putney Mountain (a 1 mile hike in from the Putney Mountain Parking lot at the top of
Putney Mountain Road.
Park by 5am to walk up and see dancing at 5:30am (and hopefully
sunrise at 5:45am) with a crowd of 75+ onlookers (if the weather is good, 40+ if rainy/snowy).
- 6:45a - Dancing at the Putney Town Hall, after which the teams retire to the
Putney Diner for their end-of-season breakfast.
- For more information, email squires